Saturday, September 22, 2007

Aloha!

I had a great time visiting my friends Betsy, Rowan, Victoria and Gabriel on the Big Island of Hawaii. We had a great time but, boy, they have a busy life. Im exhausted! They just started up a plant nursery selling native Hawaiian plants and between soccer, swim practice, working at the nursery, school carpool, birthday parties, etc......I dont know how all of you people with kids do it! Check out my flicker photos for more photos! Vic and I took a side trip to Volcano National Park. Along the way we stopped to see this beautiful waterfall. It was raining alot that day and we didnt bring an umbrella (hey its Hawaii...who needs an umbrella right?) So we got a little drenched.

We wanted to see to red hot lava but unfortunately there was none flowing where people could see it (unless you had a helicopter, which we didnt). But, we did walk across the volcano crater and it does look like the surface of the moon! The crater behind me was completely filled with lave at on point (back in the 50's I think).
We also visited this black sand beach where there were sea turtles warming themselves on the sand at Punalu'u. Can you say "Hello screensaver"?!My friend Cloyce, by coincidence, just happens to live in the same tiny town as Vic and Betsy. Its a little freaky that they both ended up in the same place and they didnt even know each other! Here he is at the end of the road at Pololu Valley. Its about 2 miles from their town Hawi (pronounced 'Hahvee').
Here is a little Hawaiian graffitti. They have the right idea. They just use rocks to write their messages along the lava fields that line the highway. And all the messages are positive.


Whose ready to go back with me??? :)

No comments: